D16032: Generate all kdebugsettings .categories files automatically

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Oct 10 17:28:06 BST 2018

kossebau added a comment.

  In D16032#340668 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16032#340668>, @apol wrote:

  > Considering we're doing our own macro, we can be also more succint. I don't see why we can't have `declare_plugin_qt_logging_category(targetname)`
  >
  > You can use `target_sources()` instead of adding it to the variable.

  You mentioned something about target in an earlier comment. But I still have no idea what you mean here and what should be generated how, could you please give an explicit example, to help aligning my brain with yours? :)

INLINE COMMENTS

> apol wrote in KDevelopMacrosInternal.cmake:336
> Wouldn't it be better to just add the install call in the declare_*_qt_logging_category calls? This way we wouldn't need a magical function call in the root CMakeLists.txt file.

Sadly does not work. As I told myself earlier before here:
"Reason is that the macros are all run at cmake/configure time, and . And depend on the order they are executed. So first all declare_plugin_qt_logging_category calls have to be made to add the data to the target object, before the macro install_qt_logging_categories is run, as that one will generate the final file and use only the data existing with the target at that time."

So the generation of the file has to be explicitly triggered, as we do not know which declare call is the last one. Hm, unless we just append a new line every time to the file, and do the principal creation on the first call. Will give that a try tonight,

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D16032