D17255: KDevelop: support for installing into a non-standard parallel prefix

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Nov 30 14:57:21 GMT 2018

rjvbb added a comment.

  >> The change doesn't change the default, but why would using '/usr' (instead of '/usr/local') be worse than using 'c:\Program Files' under MS Windows?
  >
  > Nope. It *does* change the default if KDevelop's install prefix is not `/usr/local`.

  That's also what I meant.

  That said, the install location field is always empty in the cmake import wizard when I create a new project. Which is probably fine because why would KDevelop bother hardcoding a default cmake setting esp. if that setting is dubious (argue as you might, c:\Program Files *is* the equivalent of /usr and I gather from Francis' comment that /usr would not have been used here if that had been CMake's choice on Unix).

  But maybe a proper cmake option to configure the default would raise less eyebrows?
  If there is an issue with setting the default to /usr then /usr/local should be equally off-limits on systems where that tree is under distribution control (like FreeBSD).

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D17255