D16882: [KDevelop/Shell] prevent duplicate added contextmenu actions

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Nov 19 09:14:12 GMT 2018

rjvbb added a comment.

  >   E.g. I would have expected before looking at things that each view has their own separate context menu instance, possibly even created on the fly per display :)

  I think that is what I would have expected too (maybe not per display :)), and that's one reason I didn't feel like delving into KXMLGUI. That kind of dynamic approach would surely have made things much more complex in that framework. Instead, it looks like that GUI "skeleton" is created once and reused, and that must of course be a lot simpler.
  This also implies that it must be evident for anyone knowning KXMLGUI that the context menu instance for `aboutToShowContextMenu` signals is shared among views. As to the using a custom context menu feature: I suppose that devs using that are expected to know what they're doing...

  FWIW, this is exactly why I've subscribed the frameworks ML to this diff. Do you think we need to make a more targeted effort to draw KTextEditor developer attention to these last few comments?

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D16882