Plugin causing duplicate entries in the document context menu

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 09:18:27 GMT 2018

There we go again...

First of, thanks for calling my professional background an anecdote. Really subtle, remind me to return the favour some day.

Open source software is supposed to be collaborative, and collaborative doesn't mean any number of people working each in their own corner on their own interests taking just reasonable care not to break whatever other (un)interesting things people have been doing.

Collaborative means you can reach out to colleagues and ask if they have experience with something you're planning to do or are stuck with, which is all I intended with this post and that seemed perfectly normal here (dynamic menu items showing up multiple times is something that almost has to have occurred in the past).

You don't want others to ask you to do their work for them, but please don't expect them to spend whatever time it takes to pursue things that might be known to be impossible or unfeasible. That kind of respect goes both ways.

That notion of a blackbox? Not mine, I'm fully aware of what a debugger can do and that sadly it is so often the only way to figure out how the KDevelop cardhouse is built.

Collaborative also means you can present something for discussion saying "look what I've been working on, it's probably not complete so I'm open for suggestions how to continue on this road".

As it happens, I'm NOT the only one interested in bringing the CTags plugin to KDevelop, in fact, the idea isn't mine even and I don't think I ever used the thing.

The only "constructive" thing this kind of reply does is make me less inclined to contribute my work instead of keeping it cosely in my own fork - because that too is something you can do with open source.

Not sure why I wasted my breath on writing this, again, but there you go.

R.