Plugin causing duplicate entries in the document context menu

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 15:40:08 GMT 2018

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:

> I propose to not do experimental changes and to not treat the rest of the
> logic as blackbox to make assumptions about and then potentially confuse
> yourself and everyone with wrong ones, but to make use of the Open Source
> nature of kdevelop and your ability to patch things.
>
> Go to KDevelop::TextDocument::populateContextMenu() and from there start to
> explore

You're not wrong, and that would indeed be my next move. However, as an
experimental scientist used to work with very complicated (= living) black boxes
I like to proceed by elimination so that I have an idea what I do NOT have to
look for once I do break open that black box. Like "does the CTags plugin cause
other plugins to be loaded multiple times" as Kevin apparently thought.

populateContextMenu() is complex enough as it is to have as much background info
as possible, including feedback from others who may have run into and solved
similar issues. Or decided to drop them as not worth the hassle, esp. in a
situation where there clearly is the choice of forking the plugin. (Although
there too I face the question if I and/or others will be using it enough to
warrant spending a significant amount of time on it.)