kate-ctags plugin not working

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Nov 8 15:48:14 GMT 2018

Am Donnerstag, 8. November 2018, 16:33:32 CET schrieb René J.V. Bertin:
> Hi,
>
> The Kate CTags plugin came up on the other ML. I agree that it could be
> useful to support it (CTags handles a lot languages, including TCl which is
> relevant to me) so I thought I'd have a look if it worked after adding the
> appropriate service type to its metadata.
>
> It doesn't. The toolview UI is completely garbled, and when I use the
> actions from the CTags menu I get terminal errors like these:
>
> QMetaObject::invokeMethod: No such method
> KTextEditorIntegration::MainWindow::showToolView(QWidget *)
> QMetaObject::invokeMethod: No such method
> KTextEditorIntegration::MainWindow::openUrl(const QUrl &,const QString &)
> QMetaObject::invokeMethod: No such method
> KTextEditorIntegration::MainWindow::showToolView(QWidget *)

The latter is quickly explained:

the KTextEditorIntegration::MainWindow does not (yet) have those methods
implemented and thus also not tagged as slots for introspection to be able to
call them via the Qt's meta-based system. No idea why they do not exist,
possible got added later to KTextEditor and no-one updated the KDevelop
variant, which got unnoticed due to not being used by current supported
plugins.

The list of methods in KTextEditorIntegration::MainWindow needs to be manually
maintained, no C++ interface class is used here for whatever reason, thus no
compiler assistance. For more details about the design see
https://api.kde.org/frameworks/ktexteditor/html/
classKTextEditor_1_1MainWindow.html#details

So this needs fixing with a patch which adds the implementations of those
missing methods to KTextEditorIntegration::MainWindow to do whatever is needed
to do within KDevelop's platform.

Cheers
Friedrich