D11136: Make sure we use the same compiler settings as the project is by default

Aaron Puchert noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Mar 8 23:32:31 UTC 2018

aaronpuchert added a comment.

  The Clang developers work really hard on compatibility with both GCC and MSVC, but I don't think they want to use the same defines and includes for that. For example, both Clang and GCC have their own private header files (on my machine, `/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/7/include` and `/usr/lib64/clang/5.0.1/include/`). These are quite similar, but not interchangeable. I don't think one can use one set of headers with the other compiler.

  For the most part, I also use GCC as compiler, but I configure KDevelop to behave like Clang. Yes, my compiler will see something slightly different. So what? What matters is that both GCC and KDevelop's libclang parser implement the same C++ standard.

  Since there is `clang-cl`, I assume that Clang can also imitate MSVC to some extent. But I don't think spying on `cl`s defines and includes and feeding them into libclang is necessary or sufficient for that. (Consider MS inline assembly, which Clang understands - but not by setting some defines.)

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D11136