current tag in the 5.3 branch, post-branch tag on master

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Fri Aug 31 00:18:06 BST 2018

Am Donnerstag, 30. August 2018, 13:50:02 CEST schrieb René J.V. Bertin:
> Hi,
>
> Quick request: would it be possible to set a tag in the 5.3 branch that
> reflects the fact it contains a version more recent than 5.2.4? `Git
> describe` in the 5.3 branch currently returns "v5.2.3-650-g592b4f5422" for
> me.

There should a Beta tag (and release) be coming up very soon (tm).

AFAIK our master of release ceremony Sven should be back and available
starting next week, so then also be able to finally do that :)

In the oast it seems the Beta tag and release was done right after branching,
given master should be always good to branch off for a new release (at least
by feeling, could not find a document claiming that).
Things only got out of that pattern due to the branching done slightly on
surprise to some (incl. me), who still had things prepared to flush in time
for 5.3, so the Beta tagging was delayed a bit.

Some other things though might be nice to have, which is starting to tag the
developing branch after a release branch has been opened. E.g. current master
would get a tag "v5.3.40" on commit b8a14ad882a8c286e3a5c14eb6ca43bb205fa574
which bumped the version to the new development one, 5.3.40.

That would then serve as convenient offset for the new development "season".

What do you think?

Cheers
Friedrich