D7995: KDevelop: address dirwatching inefficiency (WIP/PoC)

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Sep 28 08:03:13 UTC 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  Re: the "highly experimental" remark somewhere above:

  What I could do is continue to handle inotify-based dirwatchers as they were. This internal dirwatching method is so efficient that it brings out the overhead inherent to my multithreaded approach. It could then be a separate effort to investigate whether or not it needs to keep watching everything, not just directories.

  Implementing this shouldn't be very complicated

  - check the internal method after initial KDirWatch creation; if "Inotify" to the original addDir call and connect to the `created` signal instead of `dirty`
  - make the ProjectWatcher argument optional again for FileManagerListJob and pass nullptr when using Inotify.

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D7995