D7742: KDevelop projects: optional use of KDirWatch and defer it and parser start to after project loading

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Sep 19 16:12:20 UTC 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  sorry, no such love nor luck. I literally cannot and it beats me why. I already mentioned this on a previous occasion. Error -152 simply doesn't make sense ("(failed to allocate memory for structure", while I have ample RAM free).

    Sep 19 17:35:37 Portia.local Instruments[80379]: Unable to add callback to trigger, error #-152.
    Sep 19 17:35:37 Portia.local Instruments[80379]: Unable to configure sampling trigger for 80301
    Sep 19 17:36:10 Portia.local Instruments[80393]: *** -[NSMutableSet addObjectsFromArray:]: array argument is not an NSArray
    Sep 19 17:37:12 Portia.local Instruments[80393]: Unable to add callback to trigger, error #-152.
    Sep 19 17:37:12 Portia.local Instruments[80393]: Unable to configure sampling trigger for 80301

  A bit more luck with the simple Spin Monitor (which only kicks in when events aren't being processed, like when calling KDirWatch::addDir()), and that just confirms that the time is spent under KDirWatch (which we already knew).

  More specifically, during the dirwatcher creation it appears to be string comparisons:
  F3917725: Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 18.04.41.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F3917725>

  while during destruction it's memory operation, deallocation mostly from the looks of it:
  F3917728: Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 18.06.47.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F3917728>

  Can't do better than this but there's no need for that either. It's clear that the problem probably isn't even in KDirWatch itself, so all we can do in KDevelop is work around the issue.

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D7742