D7745: KDevelop (full) project parsing: defer until all projects have been loaded.

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Sep 18 14:42:17 UTC 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  Sorry, but no, I think it's you who are following things diagonally. The extra overhead due to cmake server mode is orthogonal to the overhead due project parsing and installing dirwatchers, or so it should be. Import time increase due to concurrent parsing and dirwatcher creation can (will) happen with all project types. Deferring those features to after project import can only make it easier to understand what causes the cmake server mode overhead, but that's not something I am particularly interested in (so you're right about my grasp of it).

  I'll say it again, deferring the start of features that work in the background just makes sense. It's highly unlikely that the project tree will change outside of KDevelop while being imported, and it is not the parsing of the initially opened document that's being delayed. The only effect of deferring a user might (will) notice is that project opening is a bit snappier, i.e. s/he can start to work a bit sooner. That should be enough justification for a change that really isn't that complicated.

  > No, measure it.

  Happy to oblige - if someone pays me for the investment that will require.

  I have a rough but largely sufficient measurement of the possible cost of dirwatchers on Mac: 15 minutes extra import time. That makes any concerns about the runtime costs moot, esp. since dirwatching doesn't work anyway, or hardly.
  With the projects I can tackly on my Linux system the import overhead is negligible and other runtime costs in terms of things I can measure hidden in the overall noise.

  I'll say this again too: deferring dirwatch creation makes as much sense on Linux as elsewhere but I'm fine with #ifdeffing the code making dirwatching optional. Or disabling it on Mac until someone figures out how to get it to work reliably.

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D7745