D7742: KDevelop projects: optional use of KDirWatch and defer it and parser start to after project loading

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Sep 12 16:41:21 UTC 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  A few quick reactions, I'll get on to making (some of) the requested changes later this week or whenever I've migrated my build to the 5.2 branch.

  > i.e. a canonical "big" repository we can use for benchmarking.

  I propose the gcc 7.2.0 source tree, or for the really adventurous, the 6.x.0 and 7.y.0 source trees because that's what really exposed the issue to me.

  Whether I'll be able to profile something that big on my Mac is another question, last time I tried to attach Instruments.app to a really busy KDevelop instance it just failed.

  > Just disabling this feature sounds like the wrong approach to me.

  What exactly is being watched, individual directories or individual files? The API suggests it might be the latter, and that suggests there must be a limit above which the feature becomes (too) expensive. Whatever that means exactly.

  > dito, but slightly changed - if the setting changed, did you recreate the watchers?

  No, I'm pretty sure at least the new watcher create function is only called just after the project's initial import.

  > remove or move into the Private class below, don't make it static

  Would you want to commit the timing feature? That was not my intention so I didn't want to bother making this a static Private class member (there shouldn't be any practical difference, AFAICT).

  > this should be a separate patch, it has nothing to do with dirwatches

  It was a separate patch until the dirwatch patch got too entwined with it. I propose I'll split off the parser component again when this is ready to be committed but I'd really prefer not having to keep them separate until that time.

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D7742