D7745: KDevelop (full) project parsing: defer until all projects have been loaded.

Gleb Popov noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Sep 9 09:54:06 UTC 2017

arrowdodger added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D7745#144194, @rjvbb wrote:

  > >   Can you please elaborate on this? I didn't get how importing distinct projects can affect each other.
  >
  > Once the first project of a series has been imported completely it starts to parse. That means a lot of file I/O and that's the level where the competition occurs. The parser can be quite RAM hungry so there may also be competition at that level.

  Ok I get it. FWIW, Visual Studio does exactly this - it first loads all the projects and only then starts parsing. Now that KDevelop got merged with KDevPlatform, the project count in the generated solution reached ~500. Loading such solution takes minutes on my machine, so I imagine it would take really longer if there would be a parser running in the background.

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D7745