Restructuring the kdevelop.git folder layout

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Wed Sep 6 07:30:37 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 6 September 2017 01:07:38 CEST Aleix Pol wrote:
> +1 to the change overall
>
> On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 12:33 AM, Sven Brauch <mail at svenbrauch.de> wrote:
> > On 06/09/17 00:18, Kevin Funk wrote:
> >> Reasoning:
> >> - Make it easier to understand the kdevelop.git layout for newcomers.
> >> - Make the layout more consistent.
> >
> > Looks sensible to me, except one thing maybe: do we really want
> > languages in plugins/languages/? To me it would also make sense -- and
> > be shorter and easier to find -- if they were in a dedicated languages/
> > folder. Sure, they are technically plugins, but ...
>
> I agree that it feels weird, but maybe it's just because 3-level deep
> is already quite deep?

True, that's actually a secondary option I had in mind as well, just flatten
it and put everything into plugins/. To be honest, the categorization doesn't
buy us much.

We could even rename a couple of plugins folders to make their intend easier
to recognize, i.e. 'qmake' -> 'qmakemanager', 'cmake' -> 'cmakemanager'.

I'm actually unsure what to do, I think I'd even lean towards the "let's have
them all in one folder" approach. +1.

FWIW, here's the list of plugins which would end up in plugins/:

cppcheck
heaptrack
common
gdb