D8211: KDevelop/Documentation : implementation of a QTextBrowser-based viewer

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Oct 20 21:25:38 UTC 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  >   Maybe this is the way to go. Can't there be a documentation viewer interface, with multiple plugins implementing it, maybe some built by default, others if the necessary dependencies are available?

  I was thinking something similar over dinner: make the part that does the actual rendering a plugin. That's almost what Friedrich suggested, the way rendering backends are selected aside. The code currently shared with the contextual help popup subsystem would remain in a regular library that's always loaded (including the methods I tweak for external browser support). One or two rendering plugins could remain in KDevelop, but the QTB plugin could be an external project.

  Maybe more can be put in a plugin, but then probably with a thorough API reorganisation; in that case support for an external browser could also be provided by an external plugin instead of by the host application.

  This would make it easier to explore other (hypothetical) html/rich content renderers that are somewhere between QTB and QWE.

  The problem is that different rendering backends may need different information from the documentation plugins. Cf. QTB: I need to obtain the HTML myself from the QtHelp engine/provider. That probably means you cannot just put the renderer in a plugin, not unless you accept extending the API when required.

  By the time I was finishing my desert it was clear to me that I'd probably be breaking my last teeth on such a project, so I'm not volunteering to start working on it =)

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D8211