D8211: KDevelop/Documentation : implementation of a QTextBrowser-based viewer

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Oct 19 18:04:32 UTC 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  >   To be honest, I very much dislike the exposure of that implementation detail: whether using QWebEngine, QWebKit, or QTextBrowser ideally would not be leaked.

  Ok, in that case I'll make the new API available for all backends, and provide stub implementations for those where it makes no sense.
  Once that's done (next revision) I'll expect users of external documentation plugins to check if and how those are affected. (Will be a couple of days, probably.)

  >   BTW, have you tested already how this change works with kdev-php?

  No, I don't "do" php. Doc plugins don't have to use the new API, in which case they get basically the same toolview behaviour as with the QtWebKit backend. This is what happens for the manpage and cmake documentation plugins (there are some minor rendering differences for the former, none that I noticed for the latter).

  > - adds another variant which is not covered by CI

  That shouldn't be hard to fix for someone who knows how to do that and has the required access.

  >   As developer, I actually would prefer it all three variants could be built and installed in parallel (given deps are available).

  This could be a secondary step, because it'll require separating the backend code into something properly standalone. I don't like the additional complexity though. Why would you want to have QWK and QWE backends available, for instance?

  As a developer and user I'd much rather see only a QTextBrowser backend. As Friedrich implied, it's more than sufficient for embedded documentation viewing. Anything requiring more advanced rendering code is probably best perused in a dedicated browser.

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D8211