question about AbstractFileManagerPluginPrivate::eventuallyReadFolder()

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 13:23:39 UTC 2017

On Friday October 06 2017 14:51:03 Tomaz Canabrava wrote:

>> Let me ask the complementary question: why would it be safe here to
>> connect a signal sent from a background thread to a slot in another QObject
>> that will be executed on the main thread?
>>

>It's not safe unless you use QueuedConnection, basically making it a FIFO
>call.

That's what I took home from a recent discussion on the Qt development ML, noting however that Qt can usually figure out the right thing to do itself, apparently. Maybe it uses a blocking queued connection in this case, but how would it know whether or not FileManagerListJob needs to wait for the signal to be handled before continuing? It seems extremely unlikely that such a property could be determined automatically.