D7995: KDevelop: address dirwatching inefficiency (WIP/PoC)

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Nov 20 09:56:41 UTC 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  >   I think by now you should know my answer to this question: Use a profiler and figure out what's going on. Heck, even attaching a debugger and intermittently interrupting it manually should give you an idea of what's going on.

  Actually, I did attach a debugger back when the issue was more frequent and interrupted at intervals. That's what I base my hypothesis on that the connection type is involved, but the underlying mechanism is way too complex and asynchronous for me to follow what's going on. And currently far too intermittent to use tools which will probably interfere with timing in ways that turn this even more into a Heisenbug.
  I far prefer to approach it as a black box and follow common-sense best-coding practices. Now if you have proof that an explicit connection type spec isn't needed, fine - I can always reintroduce it in my own fork.

  >   It shouldn't be the difference between Auto and Queued connection though, since both should yield the same result

  The key word here is "should", no?

  > This is not rocket science.

  Multi-threaded programming with async events might actually be worse if it also wants no to check for Murphy at every other step 8-)

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D7995