On platforms and runtimes

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Tue May 23 04:04:22 UTC 2017

> Example:
> A platform is 192.168.1.111
> A runtime is ssh+sftp+the actual system
>
> The new abstraction provides 4 tools to interact with the platform:
> - Path IRuntime::pathInRuntime(Path)
> - Path IRuntime::pathInHost(Path)
> - void startProcess(Q/KProcess*)
> - QByteArray getenv(QByteArray name)
>
> By being able to access files in the runtime and execute processes in
> it, we have everything we need to target a platform for KDevelop, from
> any platform.

I don't understand how this API would work. What would the pathIn*
functions return when using a "ssh runtime"? How would startProcess
run a process in a remote ssh system while keeping the QProcess API?
What if I can copy a compiled program to the target environment
(possibly after some packaging) and make it start, but I can't just
run arbitrary processes? (some cloud environments, iOS, Arduino, maybe
most embedded devices).

--
Nicolás