Questions developing VCS plugin

Frank Fischer frank-fischer at shadow-soft.de
Mon May 15 19:23:58 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have a few questions while working on a kdevelop plugin. If this is
not the right place to ask, please redirect to the proper place.

I'm currently working on a dvcs plugin for fossil [1]. I have a few
questions (related to merge and conflicts) about the implementation of
some methods. In fact, I'm not 100% what some of the methods are
supposed to do and how different results should be handled.

1. pull: should this method just pull changesets from remote or should
it also update the working directory? The git plugin seems to call "git
pull", so fetching the changesets and updating the working directory
(unless there are some conflicts). The mercurial plugin calls "hg pull",
which does not update the working directory. What is the desired
behaviour? What should happen if there is a conflict? Should the changes
be merged? How?

2. mergeBranch: how to deal with conflicts? Is there some way to
initiate a graphical merge (in kdevelop)? The git plugin just seems to
call "git merge", but what happens in the case of a conflict?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Frank

[1] https://www.fossil-scm.org