KDevelop CI for creating Linux AppImage + Windows installers

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Sat Mar 18 02:36:22 UTC 2017

On Monday, 13 March 2017 16:12:19 CET Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 3:01 AM, Kevin Funk <kfunk at kde.org> wrote:
> > Heya,
> >
> > you might have noticed the 5.0.4 took /quite/ long again to get out. This
> > time this has been merely b/c of serious breakages in KDE's Craft (the
> > tool we use to create the Windows installers) we needed to fix before
> > re-spinning the Windows installers.
> >
> > Needless to say, this has been quite a frustrating experience to both Sven
> > & me, since that's mundane and unrewarding work.
> >
> > In order to improve on this situation, and to be able to release more
> > quickly, I've set up a self-hosted CI which builds the following
> > configurations for us automatically:
> >
> > - KDevelop AppImage 64 bit
> > - KDevelop Windows Installer 64 bit
> > - KDevelop Windows Installer 32 bit
> >
> > It's all automated, the CI is set to track a certain branch (5.0 right
> > now)
> > for all of kdevplatform, kdevelop, kdev-python, kdev-php and rebuild all
> > that on a nightly basis.
> >
> > Aside from that we've hardcoded more versions in Craft.git such as the
> > KF5,
> > LLVM/Clang, Qt versions so the builds get more reproducible.
> >
> > tl;dr: Here's the CI:
> >   http://kfunk.ddns.net:8080/
> >
> > You can download the latest artifacts by visiting one of the jobs:
> >   http://kfunk.ddns.net:8080/job/kdevelop-appimage-centos/
> >
> >     -> "KDevelop-git-x86_64.AppImage"
> >
> > Hope that helps!
> > Kevin
> >
> > --
> > Kevin Funk | kfunk at kde.org | http://kfunk.org
>
> Hi Kevin,
> I think this is really cool! Thanks!
>
> Have you contacted sysadmin? it would be ideal if we could run this
> under KDE servers and hopefully extend the know how for other projects
> as well.

I think it would make sense to move this system KDE infrastructure and make it
pop out AppImages/installers for a known set of applications (not just
KDevelop, indeed).

The Windows CI creating the KDevelop x86 & amd64 installers is currently
running in a VirtualBox VM and has a size of ~ 100 GB. KF5 is at a fixed
version, the CI rebuilds all of KDevelop (+ kdev-python, kdev-php) on a
nightly basis.

The Docker container creating the KDevelop AppImages is relatively simple,
too. The Dockerfile sets up Qt + LLVM; the CI rebuilds all of KF5, KDevelop (+
kdev-python, kdev-php) via a custom .sh script written by Sven.

@sysadmins: Is there a place on our servers where I could move the VMs and
docker container? Or what do you think about the overall idea?

Cheers,
Kevin