D6839: Remove unused vcsannotate_current_document action

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Jul 23 12:40:11 UTC 2017

kossebau added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D6839#127807, @brauch wrote:

  > Hmm, I'm still confused why this code was there then. Looking at git history, it was also changed several times, fixing issues.

  Yes, quite mysterious :) Perhaps the action id "vcsannotate_current_document" had been added to some personal XMLGUI rc files only? Because from how I understand this code, the action is only added to the actioncollection of the document controller, so to be appear in the UI it needs to be referrenced from somewhere, either manually by code getting the action by id and putting it somewhere, or by having the id listed in some rc file. But I could not find anything in history (or even in the default ui_standards.rc.

  > Does invoking the action via its shortcut still work?

  Question is: which shortcut? There is none defined in the code, both in the initial and the other versions I saw in history?

  Having a shortcut would be nice though, agreed. Both for showing and hiding the annotation border even. Which shortcut keys were you thinking off?

  Though ideally this action & shortcut would be provided and handled by the vcs plugins themselves . So to restore any shortcut functionality you remember, I would be up to write a patch to allow
  vcs plugins to hook up such action with shortcut to the main menu, with bonus points also for making it a toggle action depending on the status, independent of being involed by context menu (provided completely by plugins) or main menu.

  But in any case, the code as removed in this patch currently is de-funct code, unless I really missed something.
  Also slightly hacky how it uses a full VcsPluginHelper instance. So instead of investing into restoring any functionality this code here should have provided, I am rather desperate to rewrite some things in general, so document controller does not need to know about vcs, and vcs plugins properly support multiple views on the same document with/without annotation border. And then with that experience  hopefully also try to work on finally getting the annotation border to update on changes. When fixing things for https://phabricator.kde.org/D6838 I already collected some ideas...

REPOSITORY
  R33 KDevPlatform

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D6839