Using KTextEditor plugins?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 22:12:58 UTC 2017

Hi,

If you read the KTextEditor documentation about plugins you get the impression that any application based on the framework should load those plugins automagically.

I tested this with a nice little plugin that launches remote searches in the Zeal docset browser. It only existed for KDE4, and once built its menu action indeed showed up in Kate4 and KDevelop4.

So I spent some time porting the plugin to KF5 and even managed to get it to be loaded by KDevelop.
The only thing that doesn't work is plugin configuration. Is there any way to expose the config page via KDevelop?

The plugin code: github.com/RJVB/ZealSearch

BTW, is there a trick to get changes to a plugin's .desktop file be taken into account directly? Changes do end up in the intermediate .json file immediately, but the only way I found to get them into the final binary is to point the K_PLUGIN_FACTORY_WITH_JSON macro to an nonexistent file, build, fix the "error" and build again. That doesn't sound right.

Thanks,
René