Cargo plugin

Miha Čančula miha at noughmad.eu
Wed Dec 20 15:21:14 UTC 2017

Hello,

I (with some help from Friedrich Kossebau) recently moved the KDevelop
plugin for running the Cargo buildsystem for Rust into KDE infrastructure,
it's now in playground, with the repo at
https://phabricator.kde.org/source/kdev-cargo/ . Build system,
translations, phabricator and cmake integrations have been setup.

Now I would like to know if there is interest to get the plugin released
alongside KDevelop, and if so, what would be needed to do it. Apart from
easier intallation, there are some #ifdefs to support versions 5.1 and 5.2,
which can be removed if the plugin is released on the same schedule. Is
there anything else, either in code or in other parts, that should be done
to improve integration?

I know that support for Rust the language is in a bad state, and will be in
the foreseeable future, despite Emma's efforts, simply because there is no
stable and maintained way to get the AST. I think this is a big shame
because the language itself is great. So this plugin may not be as useful
as I hoped when I started. But still, I use the cargo plugin almost daily
and so far it's working well. Directly jumping to errors is much easier
than using the command line to build the project, even without the colorful
language support I've grown so used to. I also plan to add support for unit
tests as soon as I'll be able to extract the data from cargo.

Thanks,
Miha