D5621: Install xdg mimetype definitions for OpenCL C & CUDA C

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Apr 29 00:35:16 UTC 2017

kossebau added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> aaronpuchert wrote in kdevclang.xml:12
> I'm a bit stunned: not even C or C++ source files are registered with IANA <https://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml>. Why would that be?
>
> After MIME types beginning with `x-` have been deprecated in RFC 6648 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6648>, it is recommended in RFC 6838 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6838> that such types, if in wide use, should be registered with a standardized type. No one has apparently taken the time to do that.
>
> So for now, we should probably just update `shared-mime-info`, since registering with IANA requires an RFC.

Question is, what should be used for updating shared-mime-info?

And it still would be good to make OpenCL/Khronos people aware of the need to have something to identify/speficify files with OpenCL C/C++ content. And if only they come up with some recommended informal mimetype ids and file extensions :) Anything not made up ourselves would be good.

I tried to catch some people via planet kde, but surely that might not have been the best audience: https://frinring.wordpress.com/2017/04/28/give-us-a-proper-mimetype-name-for-opencl-c-files/

REPOSITORY
  R32 KDevelop

REVISION DETAIL