D5584: Introduction of runtimes

Aleix Pol Gonzalez noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Apr 27 16:48:56 UTC 2017

apol added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D5584#105032, @kossebau wrote:

  > Please, also give a short comment what exactly can be seen in the videos, so one knows what to look out for and where to spot the differences. Some dialogs and actions are done so fast and without explaining why, so for the clueless watcher just some wild build stuff happens :)

  Okay, yes, sorry:

  docker video

  On the docker video you can see how the project cannot be tested in the local environment because some dependencies are not present. If you notice the first time it's run it complains that an import cannot be resolved. Then it's builds a Dockerfile that provides the package and when we choose the runtime it works transparently.
  I think it's specially interesting that KDevelop takes care about how the file we are running is named within the docker, so it doesn't need special tinkering.

  flatpak video

  It opens ark, the KDE archiving software and directly fetches the dependencies (i.e this file <https://cgit.kde.org/flatpak-kde-applications.git/tree/org.kde.ark.json>) being libarchive and libzip. Then an environment is created with these, on top of KDE's flatpak runtime with all the dependencies ark needs to be developed. Then it builds and installs the ark version opened in the IDE against this environment. It's important because it gives us a generic 3-step fetch, build, execute procedure that any developer can use to develop KDE applications without having to worry about Qt/KDE/libzip/lib* versions.

REPOSITORY
  R33 KDevPlatform

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D5584