D5584: Introduction of runtimes

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Apr 26 22:39:42 UTC 2017

kossebau added a comment.

  In general this seems a good thing to get integrated into KDevelop.

  Though with the current documentation and a personal lack of experience on developing with Docker or flatpack, myself I am a little lost about the exact problems which should be solved by the new classes (even more as I yet have to grasp the build/execute parts of KDevelop completely). Pardon my ignorance so far.
  Could you give some more concrete examples what does not work yet, and how the new classes and their functionality will be a solution?

  E.g. extending the API dox of the new class `IRuntime` might help. The current text leaves me puzzled like this,to give you an idea where more explanation could help me and then perhaps some people:

  > A runtime represents an environment that will be targetted

  What is meant by "environment" exactly? A set of environment variables? Another virtual or real machine? A chroot environment? Any of that? What not?
  By what will the "environment" be targetted? Build system? Installation? Execution? Packaging? Deployment? Testing? Only one or any of them?

  > It allows the IDE to interact with virtual systems that live in different namespaces.

  Is a "virtual system" such an "environment" or a "runtime"? Or just another term for it? What is a "different namespace" in that context?

  > It allows to execute processes in them and translate the paths these runtimes offer into ones that will be visible to our process to interact with.

  This sounds like a runtime plugin would map between filesystem structures. But what defines which filesystem a process would expect? And by what principal logic would the mapping be done?
  I would need an example at least to get an idea.

REPOSITORY
  R33 KDevPlatform

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D5584