RFC: make openDeclaration take an Identifier instead of QualifiedIdentifier

Sven Brauch mail at svenbrauch.de
Tue Apr 18 18:59:34 UTC 2017

Hey there,

sorry for taking so long to reply.

On 04/11/2017 05:10 AM, Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
> I'm trying to improve some suboptimal APIs in KDevPlatform. If we're
> not going to keep compatibility from one 5.x to the next, we might as
> well use that to our advantage and improve our interfaces.
That's a good thing to do! ;)

> So it seems there's no point in having openDeclaration take a
> QualifiedIdentifier, and it should take an Identifier instead.
+1, this indeed looks nonsensical, and I also wouldn't know why
openDeclaration would need a qualified identifier semantically.

I'd suggest to add a new overload with just an Identifier, move the code
there, and implement the old version by calling the new one; and marking
the old one as deprecated.

> (I think parsing C++-specific syntax like :: in QualifiedIdentifier is
> complete nonsense, but that's a whole different topic)
I don't know, the way it works requires some syntax, and the C++ one
isn't the worst choice. The problem is that the display of the
identifiers needs to be better customizable.

Greetings,
Sven