D5139: VCS commit message width feedback

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 10 14:39:19 UTC 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  > Note that Kate uses underlines for indicating spelling errors, kdev-python also uses underlines (yellow ones) to indicate style/formatting issues. So we're in line.

  And I still disagree that this is a place where you can use underlining to indicate overflow. I'm not going to repeat myself why.

  > Please, René, it takes lot of energy to do these kind of reviews, it would be appreciated if you'd sometimes just accept the recommendations from core developers who've been working on KDevelop for so many years already.

  I do and wish I could do so more often. Already I don't both anymore with most changes that I feel are justified or needed because I know my efforts will just be driven into the ground. The diff-context-lines patch is another good example. I've listened to all objections and found a way to accommodate the GUI addition without adding visible widgets but apparently I should have concluded that all further resistance was futile.

  What I don't do is taking orders to implement things I cannot stand behind.

  > This patch could've been pushed (in a revised form) weeks ago

  Yes, we could have found a middle ground that doesn't involve using font or text attributes at all (like adding 1 or 2 margin lines).

REPOSITORY
  R33 KDevPlatform

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D5139