D5139: VCS commit message width feedback

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 10 09:26:21 UTC 2017

rjvbb added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D5139#100983, @flherne wrote:

  > Note that red underlines are used for many non-spelling errors in KDevelop, such as syntax and semantic errors. There's no reason for the user to be surprised by that.

  Not for syntax and semantic errors, as they are comparable to what spelling errors are to natural language. Everyone who codes will understand that an underlined function probable indicates some other issue than a deviation from the usual spelling in language used to communicate with humans.

  Commit messages *are* natural language, and spell (and grammar) checking would be very beneficial. Once you accept that you cannot reasonably continue to use underlining to indicate other issues.

  I agree that my implementation isn't idea either. The simplest and least ambiguous indicator would be a pair of fixed vertical lines, a subdued one at the soft (title) length limit, a more salient one at the suggested hard limit. I haven't yet been able to figure out how draw such lines on the background.

  > I agree with mwolff; there's nothing wrong with underlining and your proposed changes seem far more confusing.

  The keyword being *seem*.

  Is it to much to expect that people actually *test drive* a different implementation (for a not-insignificant duration) before emitting an opinion? It's well known that our perception is coloured by familiarity and can make us prefer things that are inferior or downright wrong.

REPOSITORY
  R33 KDevPlatform

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D5139