GSoC 2017 Proposal: Julia Integration in Kdevelop

Boudhayan Gupta bgupta at kde.org
Sun Apr 2 13:23:42 UTC 2017

Hi Geetam,

I'm a little surprised you've picked a project where you add support
for a language to an IDE when you say you have only elementary
knowledge of Julia. Have you ever used Julia before? Was Julia good
enough for your use-case? Why are you motivated enough to add support
for that particular language into KDevelop?

In between that and the fact that you'll be unavailable for 4 weeks or
so for your university finals I'm a little sceptical about this
proposal. This is not to discourage you, but GSoC isn't exactly easy.
You're working on a project and working at the same level as a
professional job. There *will* be times when nothing works and you
want to flip your laptop and throw it away. This is why apart from
coding skills the best proposals also include some sort of personal
stake in the project, so that there's still a reason to not give up
when nothing seems to be working and you don't know why.

I'd be happy if you could answer the three questions I've posed in the
first paragraph.

Freundliche Grüße
Boudhayan Gupta
KDE e.V. - Sysadmin and Community Working Groups
+49 151 71032970