RFC: support for building on remote/virtual/etc machines

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Tue Sep 13 08:25:09 UTC 2016

Hi Friedrich,

I think that this usecase is much too complicated to be covered by the
GUI; maintaining a solution which would work for the majority of all
usecases would be close to impossible, because such usecases are very
customized. I think support for something like this should rather be
implemented by means of very simple features in the shell integration
support.

For example, in the shell integration, I already implemented support
for connecting to a remote machine through an ssh tunnel, by using the
"ssh!" command. What you need to do is copy the
kdevplatform_shell_environment.sh script and the
kdev_dbus_socket_transformer tool to the target machine, and ensure
that they are in the path, and that kdev_dbus_socket_transformer is
functional (i.e. its linkage isn't broken). Also the qdbus utility
must be available on the target machine. Then the remote terminal can
communicate with the local KDevelop instance, by calling all the
integrated commands ending with "!". For example, if you're on a
networked file system where files are mounted in the same location,
then the "o!" command will open the file on your local machine,
otherwise it will try to use fish. It would be nice if we would
additionally have some optional path mapping here from remote/local.

Anyway, the question now is, what would be missing to make this really
convenient. In my opinion, two things would be very useful:
1) Being able to get the build logs parsed by KDevelop, so that you
can read the colored log output within KDevelop and directly jump to
errors etc. For this, it would be nice if the output could be piped
into KDevelop in real-time. This would not only be useful for remote
building, but also for local building with build systems that cannot
easily be integrated into KDevelop. Such a call could look like "make
| parse!", where "parse!" would be a KDevelop shell utility that pipes
all the output into KDevelop and tries to do something useful with it,
like highlighting errors and making them browsable etc. For the start,
it might be sufficient if the final build log could by processed by
calling "parse! filename", which would be very similar to "open!
filename", and very easy to implement.
2) Being able to attach the integrated debugger. This should also be
implemented locally. It should somehow pipe the GDB control interface
between KDevelop and the debugger instance.

An even better solution for 1) would be, if KDevelop could monitor all
the output in all its attached sessions even without the "parse!"
command, and would recognize, for example, when you're using gdb
manually to directly jump to the specific source locations etc.,but
this might be quite difficult to achieve because I haven't found any
way to support this yet (except for hacking Konsole directly).

Greetings, David