Review Request 128880: [OS X] use a different tab bar widget for tabbed documents

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 18:20:55 UTC 2016

On Tuesday October 18 2016 16:24:04 Kevin Funk wrote:

>Just tried KDevelop on OS X myself. Indeed this patch improves the look of the tab bar by order of magnitudes...

FWIW: are you looking at building an "official" standalone app bundle version for Mac?
You may know about the possibility, but I've recently confirmed that the QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME env. variable is supported on OS X and makes it possible to load say the KDE platform theme plugin without any patches to Qt. I'm maintaining such an adapted plugin at anongit.kde.org/scratch/rjvbb/osx-integration . Even without installing actual additional styles this gives better support for colour palettes and above all the KDE font types. In absence of a kdeglobals file my code determines the appropriate typefaces dynamically.
As a result, KDE applications lose a bit of the "for the visually impaired" look they get on Mac because of using the same (large) system font (almost) everywhere.

It should be perfectly possible to bundle this plugin in a standalone app bundle, and make it load by setting the env. variable in a wrapper that acts as the BundleExec.

My 0.02€ :)

R.