Slowness of kdev-clang for some projects

Sven Brauch mail at svenbrauch.de
Tue Oct 4 22:01:02 UTC 2016

Hi,

For some projects, kdev-clang is really, really slow. That affects both
the background parsing, as well as the code completion. Example of an
affected user:
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=136457&p=365183#p364915
He says code completion takes 2-3 seconds to show up, and I have the
same issue on my work project. It's really related to the project; in a
different (even if much larger) project, completion speed is ok-ish (at
least under half a second) on the same machine(s). I tried this on
multiple computers / setups, it seems to be quite persistently
reproducible. I have also met users on reddit and IRC which have the
same issue, while others are perfectly happy.

Unfortunately I have pretty much no idea where to start looking for this
issue. Do you kdev-clang people have any immediate ideas what could
cause this? The project I can reproduce it on is not public, but I can
send you a tar if you want to look for yourself.

I already pinged milian once on IRC about this, we did some poking
around with the PCH cache, but the cache seems to be used just fine for
the slow project.

Best,
Sven