coding-specific editor settings

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 11:45:38 UTC 2016

On Sunday November 27 2016 11:33:54 Kevin Funk wrote:

>That's a question for the kwrite-devel mailing list.

Right, and I see the idea is already being discussed in

>  http://osdir.com/ml/kwrite-devel/2016-10/msg00034.html

I don't really want to subscribe to kwrite-devel just yet, so I'll just add my 2 cents here and leave you guys at it (hoping I'm not kicking in an already open door).

Rather than storing  katepartrc settings (a katepart group?) in each dependent application's rc file, why not have a katepartrc file per application? This is already what's likely to happen on platforms like OS X with the native QStandardPaths locations which impose per-application sandboxing.
The evident solution on other *n*x platforms would probably to put a katepartrc in ~/.local/share/AppName .

I presume it'll make migration just a little bit easier, and it also makes it easier for users who want to to clone editor settings from one application to another without having to navigate through the configuration dialog.

Cheers,
René