[KDevelop feedback] Mixed language in Kdevelop GUI - Windows

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Fri Nov 18 11:38:40 UTC 2016

On Friday, 18 November 2016 10:52:24 CET KDevelop wrote:
> Nuno Paiva (not verified) (nuno.a.paiva at gmail.com) sent a message using the
> contact form at https://www.kdevelop.org/contact/kdevelop_feedback.
>
> Message
>            Hi,
> I'm located in Portugal and have a MS Windows in English (and for work I do
> not admit any other language).

> I'm doing some experiments with IDEs for Embedded SW development using GNU
> toolchain (gcc, gdb, make) and QEMU.
> I've installed the latest Kdevelop 5.0.2 64bit for windows for testing git.
> I've stopped when I saw mixed language in the GUI (in my case english and
> portuguese). Specifically in
> "Configure - Kdevelop" -> Plugins. The plugins names and short description
> is translated to Portuguese, while everything else is in English.

Yes, good point. We don't ship the translation files for the user-visible
strings (.mo files). But we do ship the translated metadata of the plugins
(encoded in .json files, build into the plugin binaries).

That's why you see mixed language in the GUI.

Issue is tracked here:
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T3986

> I believe that under "Configure - Kdevelop" -> "Configure User Interface",
> one should be able to choose the translation language in which the GUI
> appears, which should be consistent across the whole GUI.

Makes sense, we plan to add that.

You could try the following as a work-around for now:

Open cmd.exe
  set LANG=en_US
  "C:\Program Files\KDevelop\bin\kdevelop.exe"

Hope that helps,
Kevin