Extracting the completion engine into a standalone library?

Samuel DA MOTA da.mota.sam at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 23:42:34 UTC 2016

Hi Guys,

First let me thank you for your awesome work on kdevelop.

I have a kind of feature request about Kdevelop.

When it comes to C++, I consider that kdevelop has the best
auto-complete and cross-reference navigation of the IDEs out there. I
tried rtags [1], irony-mode [2], YouCompleteMe [3] and QtCreator, and
they all seem to fall short compared to your new clang-based C++
parser/indexer.

I was wondering if it would be possible to consider moving the
kdevelop/languages/clang folder "out" of kdevelop into a kind of
standalone library. I believe there are lots of duplicated effort in
the community maintaining four different indexers, all clang-based.
And if the people behind the others could instead pick up yours and
contribute to it, I believe everyone would then profit from it. Do you
guys think it would be possible to do so? I admit the main reason for
my request if that I would like to keep using my favourite $EDITOR and
enjoy the Kdevelop C++ user experience.

[1] https://github.com/Andersbakken/rtags
[2] https://github.com/Sarcasm/irony-mode
[3] https://github.com/Valloric/ycmd