[KDE/Mac] Creating a OS X packaging receipt for DMGs?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 09:37:26 UTC 2016

On Monday March 07 2016 23:47:43 Aleix Pol wrote:

>> are some of the OS X guys interested in implementing something like this below
>> for KDevelop?
>>   https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kate.git&a=blob&f=mac.txt

Personally not really, unless there are billable hours involved (sadly I'm only half-joking there).

>> Of course you'd need to add LLVM/Clang/kdevelop-pg-qt, etc. as dependency.

Are you really thinking of embedding a full LLVM+Clang installation in the KDevelop app bundle? AFAICR, the LLVM and Clang 3.7 ports both come in .tbz2 archives that are over 300Mb a piece; I think the installed footprint is around 1.5Gb. Don't you think that's going to be somewhat dissuasive if you know that developers on OS X already can hardly get around installing all-encompassing Xcode which already took up close to 5Gb on OS X 10.9?

If Apple didn't change their way of deploying Clang in more recent Xcode versions, it will still be impossible to build KDevelop against the obligatory compiler. Regardless of how you deploy KDevelop that's a pity; in my current MacPorts port it means we need a parallel LLVM+Clang install only for KDevelop's parser (or almost only, because there's usually little reason not to use Xcode's clang; Qt's qmake set-up actually makes that really complicated). But at least with MacPorts one can deactivate the clang and LLVM ports when not using KDevelop5, which basically means you keep the corresponding tarball images around only.

I know many people will probably have little patience with arguments about disk space footprints but don't forget we're talking about hardware in which it's becoming increasingly difficult (impossible) to upgrade the built in disk (and RAM, for that matter). Maybe there won't be any noticeable performance drop when running KDevelop from an external mounted over USB, but I can tell you it's really demotivating to have to wait regularly for the parser when you're typing new code or doing a "fast" edit in existing code.

So does KDevelop really need a full LLVM+Clang install (at runtime and/or build time)? Wouldn't it be possible somehow to point the parser to an existing clang install, like the one provided in Xcode?

>> Bonus points for a bit of generalization of that script, and putting into a

As in "overtime"? ;)

>> Did anyone else succeed in generating a usable, up-to-date .dmg for KDevelop
>> yet?
>
>Asking kde-mac... :)

I sure didn't, though any MacPorts user could try `port dmg kdevelop` or `port mdmg kdevelop` (the latter is supposed to include all dependencies). Of course that would bundle the current port release (4.7x) and I suppose it will rather create an installer package than an app bundle that you can just drag to wherever you want it.

OTOH, there is Gilles Caulier who wrote a script that bundles digiKam from MacPorts. I may be mistaken but I think he managed to create a standalone app bundle from the MacPorts digiKam install. That may be easier with Qt4/KDE4 applications than with Qt5-based ones though, thanks to the KStandardDirs instead of QStandardPaths.

R.