An addendum about color schemes in KDevelop

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 09:31:41 UTC 2016

Dominik Haumann wrote:

> Sorry, but a coherent appearance is much more than some auto
> generated colors / color pairs. And an automatic switch to a night
> mode also does not really make sense, since time alone is not
> enough as indication for light/dark scheme.

I am not enough of an expert in colour vision to affirm anything here, that's why
I was wondering (aloud). It'd be a nice subject for a set of experiments ... by
ergonomists and/or psycho-physicists at first.
But if I used the term automatic it was to refer to the generation of the
adapted colour pairs, not to an automatic switch. I wouldn't want that myself.

> schemes, and while auto-deriving from the KDE color scheme is
> nice, it still doesn't give us 30 unique and nicely fitted colors that
> make a good looking result in the end.

Well, good looking is literally in the eye of the beholder, and having a few
schemes that are generated automatically among the other schemes doesn't oblige
anyone to use them.

Anyway, it's true, this would probably be more of a feature to implement in a
standalone utility that would create a scheme based on an input scheme and a set
of criteria.

> That's why things are how they are.

Forget I mentioned it and apologies for bringing it up here then ... I still
confuse my former and current professional circles from time to time :)