CMake Daemon

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sun Jan 24 20:41:33 UTC 2016

Hey Aleix, Kevin, others.

Earlier this week I had the pleasure of attending the Berlin C++ Meetup, where
Stephen Kelly of Qt, KDE and CMake fame spoke about his ongoing effort of
refactoring CMake to enable proper IDE integration. He will repeat this talk
at FOSDEM, if anyone attends that please go there and have a look at what he
is showing.

His demo is already capable of many extraordinary things:

- semantic highlighting
- context aware code completion
- pretty context aware documentation
- list of targets and their contents
- includes, defines and custom compiler arguments for targets
- ...

Also, he showed his take on debugging of CMake scripts, based on introspection
of the variable map at any given place in a CMakeLists.txt. This included
diffing between lines which looked tremendously useful.

I'm positively sure that this project would improve the CMake experience in
KDevelop, and any other IDE, tremendously. The problem is that Stephen is not
willing to complete the project on his own. He is looking for new people to
adopt the code he has not yet merged upstream (afaik the diff stat was about
+2000 -200 or so). He has promised to stay around as a mentor, both for code
review as well as guidance in all things CMake.

Personally, I am still spending my time on KDevelop's clang integration, but I
would also like to help out with this effort in upstream CMake. But I really
hope that more people from the KDevelop community and all the other IDE and
editor projects out there could help Stephen in this effort as well. Tobias
Hunger from Qt Creator also said that he will try to get an OK to be able to
spent work time on this effort.

@ Stephen: When will you make your cmake-browser and KTextEditor plugin code
available? Ignore the code quality for now, I and others need to be able to
play around with that! You also mentioned a Youtube demo - is that going to be
the FOSDEM recording of your talk, or will you prepare a standalone one? Is
that available already?

Thanks
--
Milian Wolff