QtSingleApplication on OS X + Windows?

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Wed Jan 20 21:06:14 UTC 2016

Heya,

I'd like to get rid off the dbus-daemon process on OS X + Windows. But still
be able to open files in an running KDevelop session.

The usual approach I've seen so far is to use the QtSingleApplication
solution. Both both Krita and Qt Creator make use of it, successfully.

With QtApplication the first application started creates a shared memory
segment, later instances just attach to it.

I'm asking this now because René tries to incorporate the "file open event"
handling on OS X differently, as seen in [1]. QtSingleApplication would make
this patch obsolete, plus provide the feature under Windows, too. I don't want
to waste René efforts, rather invite him to play around with
QtSingleApplication.

Opinions?

So, my plan:
* Don't use DBus on OS X + Windows
* Instead add a copy of QtSingleApplication to kdevplatform.git
* Make KDevelopApplication inherit from QtSingleApplication on OS X + Win
* Get file-open event handling for free on both OS X + Windows

Drawbacks:
* Can't control KDevelop from the command-line via DBus on those platforms
  (but I think this is negligible)

[1] https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/126761/