CMake daemon for user tools

Dominik Haumann dhaumann at kde.org
Wed Jan 13 16:08:12 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been working on adding a daemon mode for cmake to provide
> information to user tools - such as IDEs - about the buildsystem.
>
> Following the discussion about providing metadata for IDEs to consume
> I proposed creating a long-running process which would provide a protocol
> to access information about the buildsystem, and about the content of the
> cmake files themselves:
>
>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/12658/focus=13004
>
> The original post in that thread lists design goals.
>
> [...]

1. Wouldn't it make sense you have a developer sprint ASAP for this?

2. Reading about this deamon approach, rtags comes to my mind: rtags
   is a clang-based C/C++ parser that reads your project (e.g. through a
   compile_commands.json file) and then gives you all sorts of functionality:
   refactoring, jump to definition infos and what not. Many editors use this
   deamon to provide this functionality, and the good thing is, even for
   newer C/C++ revisions (C++17 etc), if rtags is adapted, things will just
   work on the client side, so no need for parsing and doing all the dirty
   work yourself.
   More info: https://github.com/Andersbakken/rtags

Given this background, I can see a lot of benefits in a cmake deamon
that provides all sorts of infos...

Cheers,
Dominik