KDevelop 4.7 and 5.x co-existence in the same prefix?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 15:43:10 UTC 2016

On Monday January 04 2016 16:28:47 Milian Wolff wrote:

> We don't have the manpower to support both. So while the above may be true, it
> doesn't change anything.

I wasn't suggesting both versions should be maintained actively ... by others than those who have an interest in running the older version ;)

> Note: If you wonder how something could be slower on older hardware but not on
> newer: The newer code makes proper use for multipled cores, thus it scales
> well when you throw a quad core at it, but is slower when you just have one
> core. Also, memory consumption may be higher.

That seems to fit with my observation (older kdev-clang version, one that still worked with KDevelop 4.7): if I kept it to 2 cores, it was indeed slower than the standard parser. Even on an i7. Mine may be turning 5yo this year, but it's still fast enough for most things I throw at it.
KDevelop was never lean on memory use, so I can only hope that the new parser isn't any worse than the old one in returning memory to the system when it's done. I also hope that clang as a parser isn't as memory-hungry as clang can be while compiling; I've already seen it go well beyond 2Gb on a single file (and not even a huge file).

Cheers,
René