KDevelop 4.7 and 5.x co-existence in the same prefix?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:12:55 UTC 2016

On Monday December 21 2015 01:19:08 Aleix Pol wrote:

I'm making some progress here, and now have kdevplatform 1.7.2 and 4.90.90 installed in the same prefix. Name conflicts are limited to icons and a few other things that appear to be identical, so no big deal there ... as long as you're on a case-sensitive filesystem. The link libraries (unversioned .dylib/.so files) will alias on case-insensitive filesystems, but that can also be avoided by building kdevplatform 1.7 so that it installs partly into a "shadow prefix" (say /opt/local/libexec/kde4-legacy).

I've read some of the news on the KDevelop site, and it does seem there could be a use case for having both versions co-installed (whether in the same prefix or not). If indeed the new clang-based parser is slower on older hardware (but not on newer, how would that be?) then there must be hardware where KDevelop5 is still usable for certain projects, but other projects are bearable only with KDevelop4.

Cheers,
René