We need to get the GSoC 2016 ideas page filled NOW

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Mon Feb 15 15:30:41 UTC 2016

On Monday, February 15, 2016 4:02:30 PM CET Alexander Zhigalin wrote:
> Hi!
> 15.02.2016, 13:26, "Milian Wolff" <mail at milianw.de>:
> > * KDevelop: Go language integration
> > Sounds cool, similar for Rust. But do we have a mentor for that?
>
> Considering that the number of topics to work is limited, adding a new
> language isn't a wise move(especially if existing language support is
> incomplete). After GSoC, who will maintain this?

True. The idea would be that we lure new blood in that way and keep the
student around to maintain his code :)

>   * Help web development somehow? somebody was talking to me about [1]
>  today, maybe there's other things that can be done. Or maybe not, and
>  that's why these people are just happy with atom and sublime.
>
> I think we are lacking a proper mentor for that. Though I would be OK with
> mentoring a student on improving the PHP language support to add PHP 7
> features. It's questionable though whether we find a capable student
> interested in that...
>
> I think we must improve PHP support, not talking of PHP7 but there must be a
> complete support of PHP 5. There is many IDE for C++ but very few for PHP.
> Only 2 of them are FOSS (Eclipse PHP and NetBeans+PHP), but they are slow,
> huge Java monsters and they need proprietary oracle version of java to work
> well. Proprietary ones aren't cheap but they're complex and
> resources-hungry as the above 2. That's why web-devs do prefer
> atom and sublime
> So there is some chances for KDevelop to become The PHP IDE.
> I am going to create and maintain a KDevelop-PHP checklist, with
> screenshots, explanations and test cases. I would like to help mentoring
> the PHP direction, but I have very weak C++/QT/Kde frameworks skills, so...

I agree with you, and would welcome such a checklist. That said, I want to
stress that I got into C++, Qt and KDE, just because I wanted to improve the
PHP support in Kate/KDevelop back then. Now look where I am ;-) So if you - or
anyone else - is willing to get his feet wet, do so! Sent us a mail and
explain what task you'd like to work on. Then me, or someone else, will try to
mentor you in getting the issue fixed. Do that a few times and you'll be
somewhat acquainted with the kdev-php codebase and you'll see that fixing
stuff is doable, even with a limited C++/Qt knowledge. Note that all of us are
gladly reviewing code. Don't be afraid of making mistakes or of asking
seemingly obvious questions. I did that back then, and with the help of
various mentors throughout KDE became quite good in C++. It would be my
pleasure to give this back to others.

Cheers

--
Milian Wolff