kdevelop git/master branch tag

Sven Brauch mail at svenbrauch.de
Wed Aug 31 16:12:06 UTC 2016

On 31/08/16 11:13, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Sure, but how does "git describe" know to pick up the fact that v5.0.0 was released in a recent past?

Dunno what it does; that is the most recent tagged commit in the current
branch, so it could go by that. Apparently it doesn't. :/

> I just did a fresh clone, which also showed the v4.90.91 base for `git describe`. I then tried this:
>
> %> git checkout 5.0
> Branch 5.0 set up to track remote branch 5.0 from origin.
> Switched to a new branch '5.0'
> %> git describe
> v5.0.0-8-g1e1a5eb
>
> Which corresponds exactly to the number of commits since the v5.0.0 tag was created.
> Is it possible that this was somehow pushed to a wrong branch, i.e. the origin/5.0 branch?

But that is the correct branch. If you try git branch --contains v5.0.0,
it also shows both master and 5.0 (as it should be). So the merge was
also done correctly. No idea why it's not picked up.

Greetings,
Sven