installing from git and translations from release?

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 08:07:40 UTC 2016

Alexander Potashev wrote:

Hi Alexander,

> 1. You have to restart KDevelop after switching language.

Done (otherwise I wouldn't know this works on Linux ;) )

> 2. Did KDevelop translations work for you on Mac OS X before? I only
> use KDevelop on Linux.

I'll have to double-check with KDevelop4 but I think they did work there. And
they work in other KF5 applications, even complex ones like digiKam5.
They don't work with certain Plasma packages, e.g. in the KCMs; I'm tempted to
assume that's likely because those aren't supposed to be used outside of a full-
blown Plasma environment.

> 3. I find strace helpful to see where an app tries to load
> translations from. You may want to use a Mac OS X equivalent for
> strace.

Hmmm, that could be searching for a needle in a haystack with KDevelop, but it's
worth giving it a try.
Is there an opposite approach I can take, searching through the source code to
see if non-standard paths are specified? From the little I've seen of it I
understand that translations are handled through the KI18N framework, but there
must be some kind of initialisation taking place somewhere, no?

R.