GSOC 2015

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu May 28 13:54:57 UTC 2015

On Wednesday 27 May 2015 19:56:03 Maciej Poleski wrote:
> Dnia środa, 27 maja 2015 13:24:32 piszesz:
> > Hey Maciej,

Hey Again.

> > how are you? Are you ready to work on your GSOC? The coding period has
> > started. Please also write an announcement blog post on the blogs.kde.org
> > website - you should now have an account for that. If not, please let me
> > know.
> I have written blog post here:
> https://blogs.kde.org/2015/05/24/refactorings-kdevelop
> > What are your plans for the start? What are you working on? Any issues?
>
> The first thing I want to implement is SourceManager/VFS. I hope to ship
> first pieces of code today (and not destroy kdev-clang by the way). Issues:
> In some time we will have to decide something about possible use of Bear
> (https://github.com/rizsotto/Bear) - it's nice, but not cross-platform and
> in fact it is a separate tool not necessary available on standard Linux
> desktop. Anyway I will make use of compile_commands.json. Most likely I
> will need very up-to-date version of this file before even making decision
> "which refactorings are applicable here". Project would have to be
> configured almost immediately after any change in structure. In case of
> Bear-provided compile_commands.json this would also mean invoking bear to
> create this file.

Again, I'm missing again some context. kdev-clang will stick to clang-c, the
libTooling support must be handled somehow separately, e.g. in a separate
process/plugin/library, due to the ABI instability of libTooling.

Then, speaking about compile_commands.json: You can concentrate on supporting
CMake projects for now, where we read this file ourselves already. Using bear
or similar in the future can be done, but first we should see what we can do
with libTooling and how we can integrate it.

> > Generally, are you available via IRC? #kdevelop on freenode.
>
> My experience shows that my on-line availability has little in common with
> "on-line". It's safer not to depend on this. I will do my best to watch
> inbox for incoming messages (i have configured KMail for this) and reply as
> fast as possible.

Cheers
--
Milian Wolff