Overview over GSoC 2015 ideas for KDevelop -- interested?

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Mon Mar 9 12:40:40 UTC 2015

On Monday 09 March 2015 13:09:57 Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Sergey Kalinichev
>
> <kalinichev.so.0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As you could already notice I'm greatly interested in improving the
> > kdev-clang plugin.
> > So I'd love to participate this year in GSoC for KDevelop, again :)
> >
> > Here is the first draft of features that can be implemented:
> > https://paste.kde.org/pghhwcxlt
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > --
> > Sergey
> >
> > On 3/7/15, Kevin Funk <kfunk at kde.org> wrote:
> >> Heya,
> >>
> >> KDE again was accepted as org in this year's GSoC, that's great!
> >>
> >> If anyone of our fellow KDevelop users/contributors wants to take part in
> >> GSoC, now's a good time to start the engines!
> >>
> >> If you plan to apply for one the GSoC tasks we have in the pipe line, we
> >> expect you to introduce yourself and work a bit with the KDevelop source
> >> code
> >> and possibly file a few patches so we get an idea about you and your
> >> skill
> >> set.
> >>
> >> Deadline:
> >>
> >> GSoC Student application period starts at March, 16th, closes at 27th
> >>
> >> Overview over our tasks [1]:
> >>
> >> Project: Clang Integration
> >> Brief explanation: Finish the kdev-clang plugin to make it a usable
> >> replacement for the existing C++ plugin.
> >>
> >> Project: Checker Framework
> >> Brief explanation: A generic framework should be created which provides
> >> the
> >>
> >> foundation for other plugins to report errors.
> >>
> >> Project: SVN Plugin Rewrite
> >> Brief explanation: Rewrite the SVN plugin to use the C-API directly.
> >>
> >> Project: LLDB Support
> >> Brief explanation: Write a new plugin to support LLDB on KDevelop
> >>

> >> => *Lot's* of interesting tasks!
> >>
> >> Taking part in a GSoC is a great experience (been there, done that), and
> >> I'm
> >>
> >> welcoming people to try it out!
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> [1] https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2015/Ideas#KDevelop
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kevin Funk | kfunk at kde.org | http://kfunk.org

> Hi,
> To be honest, I'm not very interested in fixing the highlighting
> configuration features. For me, the most important thing is that
> kdev-clang gets on par with oldcpp.
>
> Some things you didn't mention that I think are fundamental:
> * code completion on code that is not fully syntactically correct. For
> example: "int f = a$(%" triggering code completion at $ should
> properly show me the "a*" completions and at % should show the
> different overloads of a().
> * better integration in Qt development. At least being able to use the
> new connect syntax would be great. Also supporting the traditional one
> (like we used to) would be an ace.

I agree, highlighting features serve as a nice-to-have feature, but are not
crucial (something to keep in mind when you're bored during GSoC).

But let me just say: Great to hear you're up for another round of GSoC!

The 'missing features' set looks already quite comprehensive and there's
plenty of work to do beyond that. Looking forward to mentor a student working
on kdev-clang -- I'll also have a lot more time during the summer to be able
to coordinate the work and do some hacking myself.

PS: Please hand in a proposal based on the paste you just sent, so we can
decide if there are multiple applications.

Thanks!