Handling updates to CMake files

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sun Jun 7 16:32:09 UTC 2015

Hey all, esp. Aleix.

In KF5, we are currently really bad at handling updates to CMakeLists.txt
files:

- configure is not rerun (do we want that on every change to CMakeLists.txt?)
- this way, no compile_commands.json file is updated

ok, but even when we build/configure manually, and compile_commands.json is
updated, then we do not update the json data at all. dirtyFile() calls
import() which does *not* create an import job! So no CMakeImport job is
created and the json data is never updated. This at least should be fixed
independently of how we want to handle the above.

Furthermore, I wonder whether we should give "best-guess" results for
defines/includes. Assume we add a new file to a project (and do not add it to
CMakeLists.txt straight away). Currently, this will result in no include paths
or defines and thus bad parsing. In KDE4 we used to jump through hoops in the
C++ support (and maybe also in CMakeLists.txt?) to return the includes/defines
for any neighboring file in the folder which has some information attached. I
think we should add that behavior again, but inside the CMakeManager - what do
you think?

Bye
--
Milian Wolff